Experience working at BBDO, JWT, Grey Advertising, McCann-Erickson, Azaguys and Chillibush Communications as Art Director, Group Creative Director, Creative Director, Executive Creative Director and partner.
Since 2006 Les has had a working relationship with MirriAd, world leaders in Digital Brand Integration to sell their proprietary Digital Brand Integration technology in Southern Africa. His hard work paid off as Restitch was made the preferred supplier to the South African Broadcasting Corporation and was on the brink of launching the DPP technology on SABC content produced in South Africa.
In 2009 Les consulted to AdforceDDB in Namibia for 3 months as Creative Director successfully pitching for 3 new business acquisitions. Since 2010 he has been consulting Creative Director at Foghound Studios.
Creative Strategy Concept Development Creative Direction Art Direction Copy writing Directing Assistant Directing
While in the advertising industry his work has featured in awards annuals of the The New York Festivals, The Art Directors Club of New York, The London International Awards, Creativity, Communications Art and the Loeries.
He was invited in 2009 to present the proprietary Restitch/MirriAd digital product placement technology at DISCOP in Dakar, Senegal.
In 2010 Les was involved as assistant director in the production of the photographic reality show SHARPSHOOTER, which was nominated for a SAFTA award in the Best Reality TV category.
Name of Company: Restitch Advertising & Marketing Communications, Johannesburg. Period Employed: 2006 – Present
Position Held: Owner/Creative Director.
• Create and present the unique Restitch/MirriAd Embedded Advertising/Digital Product placement technology presentation to Media Agencies, Ad Agencies and Content Owners.
• Presented as part of a team with the SABC to media agencies for product placement opportunities.
• Creatively oversaw all TV and Radio production for Incredible Connection as Creative Director, Art Director and Copywriter, September 2006 to December 2008.
• Consulting to Foghound Studios as Creative Director from February 2010 to present.
• Retained the Incredible Connection account for 2 years.
• Was invited in February 09 to present the Restitch/MirriAd Digital product placement technology presentation at DISCOP in Dakar, Senegal.
• Launched new promotional platform GUESS TV on SABC.
• Short-listed for the Mango airlines pitch.
• Successfully pitched for the Visible Science account to launch the new VS mobile phone.
Incredible Connection (2008), VS Mobile (2009). Foghound Studios: Deloitte, Makro, Kenwood, Mix Telematics and Matrix Car Recovery.
Name of Company: Chillibush Communications. Johannesburg. Period Employed: 2003 - 2005
Position Held: Creative Director/Art Director/Partner
• Managing the creative department of 11 people including Traffic and Production.
• Overseeing all creative and production through all media streams as Creative Director and Art Director.
• One of team of 5 that managed the company. Achievements:
• Successfully pitched for 80% of the new business pitches thus increasing billings substantially.
• Increased company profits by setting up traffic system and production to work together seamlessly.
• Increased awareness of the company within the Ad industry as evidenced by the clients who invited Chillibush to pitch on their business.
Account Assignments: Alexander Forbes, Deloitte, Investment Solutions, Pikitup (Refuse and waste removal), Canon, Kumba Resources (Mining), City Press (Newspaper), Sun Microsystems (IT) and T-Systems.
Accounts successfully pitched for: City Press, Truworths Corporate (Fashion), Alliance Media (Outdoor) and The Blue Train.
2002-2003 Took a break from the Ad industry and opened a coffee shop franchise. A year later I was offered the position of Creative Director at Chillibush Communications with the option of a partnership and sold the franchise in June 2003.
Name of Company: Azaguys FCB, Johannesburg. Period Employed: 2001 - 2002
Position Held: Creative Director/Art Director
• Managing creative department of 15 people.
• Overseeing all creative from strategy/brief to final production.
• Reporting to the MD. Achievements:
• Part of a team that pitched and won the Gensec Bank account.
Account Assignments: Clover Dairy, Gensec Bank and CTM (Ceramic Tile Merchants) worked on TV only for CTM.
Name of Company: McCann-Erickson, Johannesburg. Period Employed: 1988 - 2000
Position Held: Executive Creative Director
• As a main board member, part of the team tasked to manage the company.
• Managing the Creative department with 5 creative teams and 3 creative directors with 28 employees including the Traffic department.
• Overseeing, reviewing and approving all creative from strategy/brief produced by McCann-Erickson on billings worth approximately R250 million across all media streams.
• At the same time fulfilled the role as Senior Art Director on Opel Corsa, Suzuki and SAAB. Achievements:
• Headed up the team as CD and Senior Art Director responsible for the launch of the Opel Corsa in S.A.
• The Corsa "No Contest" campaign resulted in Opel Corsa achieving 'Cult' status in the 18-24 year old entry-level car market catapulting Opel Corsa to a 26% share of market in 6 months!
• Opel Corsa TVC “Ball” was chosen for the McCann-Erickson Worldwide “10 Best” reel used in new business pitches worldwide.
• Headed up the team responsible for producing advertising that made Isuzu the Number 1 selling pick up displacing Toyota for the first time.
• 1998-2000 headed up the teams responsible for pitching and winning; IEC (Independent Electoral Commission), Heineken and Caltex.
AWARDS: In the 13 years with McCann Erickson headed up teams responsible for winning 2 Gold medals, 1 Silver & 2 Bronze medals in The New York Festivals, 2 statues at The London International Awards, 2 Gold and 4 Silver Loeries, 3 merits at The Art Directors Club of New York, 5 Silver Quill statues, 3 Craft awards, 5 Creativity Awards of Distinction and numerous finalist awards locally and internationally. Creative work featured in the annuals of the Loeries, London International Awards, The Art Directors Club of New York, The New York Festivals, Creativity and Communication Arts.
Account Assignments: Delta Motor Corp. (Opel Astra, Kadett, Corsa, Isuzu, Suzuki, Saab), RJ Reynolds (Camel cigarettes), Reckitt-Benckiser (Mr. Min, Target Insecticides, Jik Bleaches), Johnson & Johnson, L'Oreal, Mondi Paper, Unifoods (Ola ice cream, Melrose Cheese), Lever Ponds (Vaseline), Eskom and Tsogo Sun (Sundome Casino, Montecasino), Hyperama (Project basis)
Name of Company: McCann-Erickson, Durban. Period Employed: 1990 - 1995
Position Held: Creative Director/Art Director/Copywriter
• Managing a creative department of 10 people plus the traffic department.
• One of 3 Directors of McCann-Erickson Durban tasked to manage the company.
• Overseeing all creative produced across all media streams. Achievements:
• ME Durban regularly featured in the top 10 individual agency rankings of the Creative Directors Forum between 1991-1994.
• Doubled ME Durban’s billings through new business acquisition.
• Regularly featured in the local and international awards festivals.
• Seconded to McCann-Erickson Nairobi in 1992 for a month and headed up the team as CD and Art Director that won a finalist award at the New York Festivals. The first for McCann-Erickson Nairobi at that time.
• Selected to attend the McCann-Erickson Leadership Development Programme in New York at the Business School of Columbia University.
Accounts Assignments: Adcock Ingram Pharmaceuticals, Scotts Fashion Stores, Herti Meats, Mondi Paper, Mecer Computers, and Unifoods (Gino Ginelli Ice Cream). Accounts successfully pitched for: Herti Meats, Mondi Paper, Mecer Computers & Unifoods.
Name of Company: McCann-Erickson, Johannesburg. Period Employed: 1988 - 1990
Position Held: Deputy Creative Director/Art Director
• Overseeing all creative handled by my creative team, from strategy/brief to final production across all media streams as Deputy CD and Senior Art Director. Achievements:
• Sunday Times and Elite cheese campaigns won numerous awards locally and internationally in the period 1989-1990.
Account Assignments: Times Media Limited (Sunday Times newspaper), National Co-operative Dairy (Elite Cheese), Sasol Petroleum, Citrus Board SA, Johnson & Johnson, Hyperama (Project basis)
Education & Professional Training:
Advertising and Graphic Design Diploma. 1973. The Cape College for Advanced Technical Training, Cape Town. The McCann-Erickson Leadership Development Programme held at the Business School of Columbia University. New York. 1-week course